Wednesday, December 17, 2008

Unacceptable Behavior Management

In this article, parents or school professionals describe the use of seclusion as behavior management for students with special needs. As outlined in the article, the cases are clearly extreme and unacceptable (one students committed suicide in the seclusion room, and others were injured or traumatized). However, they got me thinking.

What would I have done if I were the teacher in that situation? Giving the child a chance to cool off in a different environment is often offered as a preferable solution to punishing him or her. Of course, I hope I would have had the child sit where I could see him or her, or send her to a resource room with a trained instructor. But what if there is no resource room? What if the child threatened to harm me or a classmate, as supposedly happened? Calling parents would have been prudent, and this didn't happen in several of the cases listed; I still wonder why not.

What should teachers do in cases like these?

No comments: