I attended my second Arabic 102 class today - it's been a long time since school stressed me this much. Then again, it's been a long time since I was a beginning language learner, and I've never studied a language with so many differences from my native one.
However, today I noticed something. Even with as difficult as Arabic is, even with a native speaker as my professor, even with the intense rate that classes are given during the summer, I could see that the professor was working to create a safe learning environment so that we could learn Arabic as authentically as possible. He demanded excellence from us, he refused to let us give up when we struggled with a grammatical inflection, but he never hung us out to dry. I don't feel safe yet. I still feel stressed - a little stress is good, since it serves as motivation. I know, though, that this class will eventually feel like the perfect atmosphere in which to learn.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


No comments:
Post a Comment